Leadership competencies—not to be confused with leadership qualities—are the skills and behaviors that contribute to superior leadership performance. In a leadership role, there are 3 aspects of leadership: leading the organization, leading others, and leading the self. It is crucial to be aware of these 3 aspects, and of which competencies fall under each category. Listed below are leadership competencies for leading the organization, others, and self.
Leading the organization
- Managing change
- Risk taking and innovation
- Problem solving and decision making
- Managing politics and influencing others
- Establishing vision and strategy
- Effective communication
- Building and maintaining relationships
- Managing teams and work groups
Leading the self
- Leadership stature
- Displaying drive and purpose
Leadership is dynamic and multi-faceted. Being aware of the categories and how leadership competencies fall into each will ultimately help you become a more effective leader.